Monday, July 8, 2013

July 10th - 36 years ago

Thirty-six years ago my father passed away. I was seven years old.

I haven't thought much about my dad's "anniversary" date for so long (my wedding anniversary was the same day) that I had forgotten... So sorry Daddy...

In those few years I had with him, I remember bits and pieces of time with him...
- teaching my sister and I how to say the rosary and lead the churchgoers to say the rosary - at age 3!
- not really knowing how to read, but he was determined to teach my sister and I through singing. So my first song (not religious) "Top of the World" by Karen Carpenter. Every time I hear that song, I can see us sitting on the little chairs outside on the lanai, staring at the large yellow paper my dad had written the lyrics to the words. When we finally memorized the song, we started performing for family & friends.
- Meeting his dad, my grandfather for the first time. I was three years old - in Pangasinan.
- Taking me to his work - he was a Supervisor for Aloha Airlines. Did you know that he suggested to earn more revenue for the company, to provide alcohol on the flights??? What a scream! And of course, now every airline provides.. with a cost, of course.
- His tickles
- He used to hand feed me.

In that small amount of time, I was able to learn how patient this man was. He worked full time, was a carpenter, a photographer, and a loving husband and dad.

I really hold onto these memories because I don't have much to go on.

I get jealous and sad at the same time when I see girls with their dads and they hug them so tight... or they treat them like the plague... then there's those whose parents need care because they're elderly...

Me? I wish for more time with him. To have gotten to know him more. To hug him one more time... It's like that song - One more day by Lonestar...

Then 20 years later, Mom finally went home to be with him. Gosh, I miss them...

No comments: